Edible Peace Patch Blogs

Check out our other blogs here: http://peacepatch.org/blogs.htm

Thursday, November 17, 2011

November Rain

"In the garden, Autumn is, indeed the crowning glory of the year, bringing us the fruition of months of thought and care and toil. And at no season, safe perhaps in Daffodil time, do we get such superb colour effects as from August to November."
               Rose G. Kingsley, The Autumn Garden, 1905

I managed to acquire a few pictures before the thick clouds above condensed, quenching the thirsty roots of flourishing plants in the garden.  I could not take my eyes off the growing squash in our three sisters garden bed.  So much progress has been made in all the beds and it is my understanding we will have arugula growing soon!
Sadly, the downpour began right on time for the children to come out.  We missed their smiling faces as we sought shelter in the shed, waiting for the pouring rain to subside.  The time I spend in the garden each week brings my soul such tranquility and joy.  What a wonderful thing it is to partake in the cultivation of environmental education in a flourishing garden.  As environmental studies is not my specific area of study at Eckerd College, I learn new things each week while gardening and teaching lessons to the students.  At the beginning of this semester, the process of weeding was out of my comfort zone (I was not accustomed to weed identification).  I am now growing quite comfortable with the identification and removal of weeds, and I see that it can be quite a therapeutic process!
Thanks for reading :)
-Elena
"Walked for half an hour in the garden.  A fine rain was falling, and the landscape was that of autumn.  The sky was hung with various shades of gray, and mists hovered about the distant mountains - a melancholy nature.  The leaves were falling on all sides like the last illusions of youth under the tears of irremediable grief.  A brood of chattering birds were chasing each other through the shrubberies, and playing games among the branches, like a knot of hiding schoolboys.  Every landscape is, as it were, a state of the soul, and whoever penetrates into both is astonished to find how much likeness there is in each detail."
         
Henri Frederic Amiel 

No comments:

Post a Comment