Edible Peace Patch Blogs

Check out our other blogs here: http://peacepatch.org/blogs.htm

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Oh the Things Kids Will Say!



Thursday was hot, but everything is coming in beautifully! We're holding off on harvesting until the festival which is approaching quickly!!! Although I normally write about the day happenings of the garden, I've decided to take a different direction today.

Throughout the semester, I've been mentally collecting phrases, compliments, and the oral meanderings of the students I teach. Usually, the capacity to remember these sayings are due to exactly how funny and unexpected they are. One day while reading a book about mother nature, a student turned to me and said "I once met mother nature." Simple as that. All I can wonder is where this student met mother nature, and what she might look like. Our Tuesday 2nd graders always ask to "taste some of the pickles." Each time as we eat the dill, we explain to them that the dill is just the spice that makes pickles. It's so fascinating to see the association the kids make. The very first quote I can remember from this semester was a compliment from a female student. As we were walking to the picnic table for the day's lesson she said: "You have vampire teeth." I was so taken aback, not sure if it was meant to be positive or negative so I simply said "thank you!" This Thursday I was told I have nice toes, hair, and a pretty shirt. The compliments are quirky, but when you look at their wide smiles, it's impossible to help smiling back and saying thank you!
Although these compliments may seem odd, at least they're genuine. Children don't have a filter; they literally just says what pops in their head. To be truly uninhibited from social constraints of white lies, propriety, and over all "manners" is a gift. Society views the filter as a necessity, yet a child has the ability to be completely honest. Are we missing a critical piece of society by being dishonest to a certain degree with one another? Just another potential life lesson we can (re)learn from children.

No comments:

Post a Comment